Our physical sense of equilibrium suggests a condition of equal balance—in the motion of a seesaw, the swing of a pendulum, the stretch of a spring. How does physical equilibrium translate to the properties of chemical equilibrium? In this comprehensive student laboratory kit, students explore the nature and consequences of equilibrium in three reversible chemical reactions—the acid-base equilibrium of bromcresol green indicator, the solubility equilibrium of magnesium hydroxide, and the complex-ion equilibrium of iron(III) thiocyanate. For each reaction, students:
• Observe what it means to say that a reversible chemical reaction can go both ways.
• Examine the effects of changing the concentrations of reactants and products on the position of equilibrium.
• Use LeChâtelier's Principle to explain how balance can be restored when the equilibrium is disturbed.
Students practice critical-thinking skills as they build on their observations and apply their knowledge to predict whether a reaction is exothermic or endothermic, based on the effect of temperature on the position of equilibrium. Applications of chemical equilibrium in biological and environmental science are highlighted through discussion.
Kit includes reproducible student handouts, detailed background information, Teacher Notes with sample data and answers to questions, and all necessary chemicals and consumable supplies.
Complete for 30 students working in pairs.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 454
You May Also Like
- Hot Plate, Flinn, 7" X 7"
- Beakers, Borosilicate Glass, 400-mL
- Gas Law Apparatus
- Pink and Blue - A Colorful Chemical Balancing Act - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Gas Phase Equilibrium - Student Laboratory Kit
- Four-Square Diffusion - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Modeling Equilibrium - Super Value Kit
- The Overhead Equilibrium Reaction - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Restoring Balance - LeChâtelier's Principle and Equilibrium - Student Laboratory Kit
- The Equilibrium Constant - Student Laboratory Kit