Two solutions are poured together in a beaker. A paper clip is lowered into the solution. As the paper clip is withdrawn, almost by magic a very long strand of nylon is pulled from the beaker. A super demonstration to discuss polymer concepts. Teacher Demonstration Notes included. Enough materials are included to perform the demonstration seven times.
Concepts: Polymerization, organic chemistry.
Time Required: 15 minutes
Chemicals Provided: Hexamethylenediamine/sodium hydroxide solution and adipoyl chloride/hexane solution.
Note: Perform this demonstration in a fume hood or well-ventilated lab.
Mystery Nylon Factory Video
Make your own nylon fiber, a wonder polymer once described “as strong as steel, as fine as a spider’s web, yet more elastic than natural fiber.”
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 386
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 499
You May Also Like
- Beakers, Borosilicate Glass, 50-mL
- Fluorescent Slime - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Super-Duper Polymer Gel - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Slime for Everyone! Student Laboratory Kit
Polymers, Polymers, Polymers -
Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Structures and Properties of Polymers - Activity-Stations Kit
- Pour a Rainbow - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Gluep Production - Guided-Inquiry Kit
- Polymers, Flinn ChemTopic Labs Book, Volume 21
- Applications of Chemistry DVD Set