Take a test tube which “appears” to be absolutely clear, add a few drops of different chemical solutions, swirl the test tube around and place it in hot water. Before your students' very eyes, they will see a beautiful film of copper develop and deposit on the test tube glass. Teacher Demonstration Notes included. Enough materials are included to perform the demonstration seven times.
Time Required: 20 minutes
Chemicals Provided: Tin(II) chloride solution, silver nitrate solution, Fehling's solutions A and B, and glyoxal solution.
Note: Perform this demonstration in a fume hood or well-ventilated lab.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 378
You May Also Like
- Hot Plate, Flinn, 7" X 7"
- Beakers, Borosilicate Glass, 250-mL
- The Silver Mirror Award - Chemical Demonstration Kit
The ROY G BIV Clock Reaction -
Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Silver Holiday Ornaments - Student Laboratory Kit
- The Two-Cent Colorful Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Electroplating with Copper - Student Laboratory Kit
- Make Your Own Silver Mirror - A Microscale Super Value Laboratory Kit
- The Gold Rush - Turning Pennies into Silver and Gold - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Oxidation and Reduction, Flinn ChemTopic Lab Book, Volume 16