Be a chemical gourmet—whip up a carbon soufflé! Your students will be amazed as they watch a yellow solid-liquid mixture turn brown, then black, expand out the top of the beaker—and solidify. The beaker becomes extremely hot and the odor of burnt sugar will fill the room. Teacher Demonstration Notes included. Enough materials are included to perform the demonstration seven times.
Concepts: Exothermic reactions, dehydration reactions, neutralization reactions.
Time Required: 20 minutes
Chemicals Provided: Sucrose, sulfuric acid, and sodium carbonate.
Note: Perform this demonstration in a fume hood or well-ventilated lab.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 408
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 332
You May Also Like
- Flinn Scientific Electronic Balance, 410 x 0.01-g
- Cylinder, Borosilicate Glass, 100 mL
- The Chef - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Thermodynamics in a Bag - Super Value Kit
- Smashing Thermit Reaction - Demonstration Kit
- Preparation of Esters - Student Laboratory Kit
- Underwater Fireworks - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Whoosh Bottle - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Energy and Thermodynamics DVD Set
- Thermochemistry, Flinn Chemtopic Labs Book, Volume 10