In a matter of seconds, columns of various colors sprout up from the bottom of a beaker containing a clear liquid. The crystals form like stalagmites in a cave and will continue to grow for several days. This beautiful crystal garden is fascinating to watch. Teacher Demonstration Notes included. Enough materials are included to perform the demonstration seven times.
Concepts: Formation of insoluble silicates, osmosis, crystal structures.
Time Required: 15 minutes
Chemicals Provided: Sodium silicate solution, aluminum chloride hexahydrate, iron(III) chloride, copper(II) chloride, and cobalt nitrate.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 403
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 346
You May Also Like
- Beakers, Borosilicate Glass, 1000-mL
- Cylinder, Borosilicate Glass, 500 mL
- Unexpected Precipitation - A Discrepant Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Precipitation Reactions and Solubility Rules - Super Value Kit
- The Aloha Chemical Sunset - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Microscale Silicate Garden - Super Value Kit
- Colorful Stalactites and Stalagmites Kit
- Stalactites and Stalagmites
- Determination of Ksp for Ca(OH)2 - Student Laboratory Kit
- Solubility and Solutions, Flinn ChemTopic Labs Book, Volume 12