Study the process of corrosion and the activity series of metals with this colorful laboratory activity. Students will first place several iron nails in a bed of agar. Then, they will subject each nail to different conditions, such as surrounding the nail with a different metal. By adding indicators that show areas of oxidation and reduction, students will visually determine the conditions that either promote or prevent corrosion. Students will explain their observations using the activity series of metals. Kit includes reproducible student handouts; complete Teacher Notes with sample data, all chemical reactions involved, and answers to questions; plus all materials needed to perform the lab.
Complete for 30 students working in pairs.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 474
You May Also Like
- Flinn Scientific Electronic Balance, 410 x 0.01-g
- Hot Plate, Flinn, 7" X 7"
- Pliers, Diagonal Cutting
- Iron(II) and Iron(III) Reactions - Student Laboratory Kit
- The Floating Tin Sponge - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Analysis of Hydrogen Peroxide - Student Laboratory Kit
- The Silver Mirror Award - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Electroplating with Copper - Student Laboratory Kit
- Iron Corrosion - Guided-Inquiry Kit
- Oxidation and Reduction, Flinn ChemTopic Lab Book, Volume 16