Watch your valentine vanish and then reappear with this favorite holiday demonstration! Simply shake a flask containing a colorless solution to introduce oxygen. The solution will change to a bright pink valentine color. Then allow the solution to sit undisturbed and observe as the solution fades back to colorless. The oxidation-reduction cycle can be repeated many times. Teacher Demonstration Notes included. Enough materials are included to perform this demonstration seven times.
Concepts: Oxidation-reduction, indicators.
Time Required: 15 minutes
Chemicals Provided: Dextrose solution, sodium hydroxide solution, and resazurin solution.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 394
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 497
You May Also Like
- Flask, Erlenmeyer, Borosilicate Glass, 500 mL
- Cylinder, Borosilicate Glass, 100 mL
- April Fool's Day - Multi-Demonstration Kit
- A Christmas of Chemistry - Multi-Demonstration Kit
- The Chemistry of Spring Break - Multi-Demonstration Kit
- End of Year Finale - Multi-Demonstration Kit
- Chemystery of Halloween - Multi-Demonstration Kit
- The Reappearing Pumpkin - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Feeling Blue - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Stop-'N-Go Light - Chemical Demonstration Kit