Mix a suspension of milk of magnesia (MOM) with universal indicator, add simulated stomach acid, and observe the dramatic rainbow of colors as the antacid dissolves in the acid! And...it's not over yet! Simply add more acid and watch as the colors continue to change and indicate the reaction of the milk of magnesia with the "stomach acid." An eye-catching, spectacular demonstration to teach solubility, acid-base, and "antacid-testing" consumer chemistry! Teacher Demonstration Notes included. Enough materials are included to perform the demonstration seven times.
Concepts: Solubility, Ksp, acid-base neutralization, antacids.
Time Required: 15 minutes
Materials Provided: Milk of magnesia (MOM) suspension, hydrochloric acid solution, universal indicator solution, and Beral-type pipets.
MOM and pH Video
A different view of the versatile MOM demo with a pH probe to track pH versus time as the antacid in solution is neutralized and then more dissolves. Rhythmic pH changes!
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 403
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 400
You May Also Like
- Beakers, Borosilicate Glass, 1000-mL
- Magnetic Stirrer, Flinn, 7" x 7"
- Solubility Patterns - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Help From MOM - The Biochemistry of Antacids
- pH and Protein Solubility - A Reversible Demonstration Kit
- Determination of Ksp for Ca(OH)2 - Student Laboratory Kit
- Growing Crystals in Gels - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Analysis of Over-the-Counter Drugs - Student Laboratory Kit
- Keep Your Eye on the Ions - Double Replacement Model Demonstration Kit
- Solubility and Solutions, Flinn ChemTopic Labs Book, Volume 12