Wow your students with a whoosh! Students just love to see the blue alcohol flame shoot out of the mouth of the bottle and watch yellow dancing flames pulsate in the jug as more air is drawn in. Use this exciting demonstration to teach combustion reactions, molar relationships, and thermodynamics concepts. Have your students write the chemical equation for the combustion of alcohol and predict the volume of water that will be formed. With the detailed procedure and safety information provided, you too can safely perform this popular explosive demonstration in your classroom. Teacher Demonstration Notes included.
Concepts: Thermodynamics, combustion, molar relationships.
Time Required: 15 minutes
Materials Provided: 5-gallon whoosh jug, isopropyl alcohol.
Note: A safety shield and fire blanket are highly recommended when performing this demonstration.
Whoosh Bottle Video
Exciting, popular demonstration illustrates the fire triangle.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 395
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 322
You May Also Like
- Thermodynamics in a Bag - Super Value Kit
- Smashing Thermit Reaction - Demonstration Kit
- Thermochemistry, Flinn Chemtopic Labs Book, Volume 10
- Discovering Instant Cold Packs - Guided-Inquiry Kit
- Knock Your Socks Off Apparatus Kit - Reaction of Calcium Carbide
- Energy and Thermodynamics DVD Set
- Cool Reaction - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Thermite Reaction - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Safety Shield, 30" X 16"
- Fire Blanket with Case