Generate microscale quantities (50-60 mL) of carbon dioxide gas in syringes and observe the properties and reactions of the gas. Perform the classic lime water test for the detection of CO2, observe the acidic nature of the gas, watch the gas undergo a chemical reaction, and determine if carbon dioxide supports combustion of a candle flame. Students gain a hands-on understanding of the chemistry of carbon dioxide. Includes Teacher Notes, reproducible student handouts, and all necessary chemicals and specialized materials.
Complete for 30 students working in pairs. The Chemistry of Gases Classroom Equipment Kit (Catalog No. AP5951) is needed to perform this lab and is available separately.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 457
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 355
You May Also Like
Chemistry of Gases Classroom Equipment -
Super Value Kit
- Flinn Scientific Electronic Balance, 410 x 0.01-g
Properties of Gases and the Gas Laws -
- Hydrogen - What a Bang! Student Laboratory Kit
- Oxygen - What a Flame! Student Laboratory Kit
- Pop Rocks® Science - Determine the Volume of CO2 - Student Laboratory Kit
- Common Gases - Student Laboratory Kit
- Seeing the Invisible - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Chemistry of Gases DVD Set
- Chemistry of Gases, Flinn ChemTopic Labs Book, Volume 8