Safely observe the explosive nature of hydrogen gas! Generate microscale amounts (50-60 mL) of hydrogen gas in syringes. Perform the classic candle test for the detection of H2, ignite bubbles filled with pure hydrogen and compare to bubbles filled with mixtures of hydrogen and air, and determine whether H2 burns in the absence of air. Includes Teacher Notes, reproducible student handouts, and all necessary chemicals and specialized materials.
Complete for 30 students working in pairs. The Chemistry of Gases Classroom Equipment Kit (Catalog No. AP5951) is needed to perform this lab and is available separately.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 457
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 355
You May Also Like
Chemistry of Gases Classroom Equipment -
Super Value Kit
- Flinn Scientific Electronic Balance, 410 x 0.01-g
Properties of Gases and the Gas Laws -
- Oxygen - What a Flame! Student Laboratory Kit
- Carbon Dioxide - What a Gas! Student Laboratory Kit
- Preparing and Testing Hydrogen Gas - Student Laboratory Kit
- Common Gases - Student Laboratory Kit
- Gas Laws Puzzle - Student Activity Kit
- Chemistry of Gases DVD Set
- Chemistry of Gases, Flinn ChemTopic Labs Book, Volume 8