Oxygen—we need it to survive! Learn how O2 is prepared and observe some of its interesting properties. Generate microscale amounts (50-60 mL) of O2 gas in syringes by performing a catalytic decomposition reaction. Observe how oxygen supports combustion; burn steel wool in an oxygen-rich flame, and perform the classic “blue bottle” oxidation experiment in the syringe. Includes Teacher Notes, reproducible student handouts, and all necessary chemicals and specialized materials.
Complete for 30 students working in pairs. The Chemistry of Gases Classroom Equipment Kit (Catalog No. AP5951) is needed to perform this lab and is available sold separately.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 458
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 356
You May Also Like
Chemistry of Gases Classroom Equipment -
Super Value Kit
- Flinn Scientific Electronic Balance, 410 x 0.01-g
Properties of Gases and the Gas Laws -
- Hydrogen - What a Bang! Student Laboratory Kit
- Carbon Dioxide - What a Gas! Student Laboratory Kit
Dissolved Oxygen and Temperature -
Student Laboratory Kit
- Common Gases - Student Laboratory Kit
- "Magic Genie" - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Chemistry of Gases DVD Set
- Chemistry of Gases, Flinn ChemTopic Labs Book, Volume 8