An impressive hands-on demonstration of adhesive surface tension. Hang the 7.5-cm glass disk by its three precisely coordinated hanging cords over a container of liquid. Then let the disk rest on the surface of the liquid. Students can feel the force required to pull the disk free. For quantitative results, a spring scale can be used to measure the actual force and compare it to the weight of the disk alone. Different liquids can also be compared to determine their adhesive surface tension.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 663
You May Also Like
- Cohesion Plates- Demo Kit
- Bottomless Bottle - Pascal's Law Demonstration Kit
- Hydraulic Elevator - Physical Science Demonstration Kit
- Hydraulic Hot Water Bottle - Demonstration Kit
- Pascal's Law - Student Laboratory Kit
- Principles of Hydraulics - Student Laboratory Kit
- Introduction to Bernoulli's Principle Kit
- Soda Bottle Physics Kit
- The Bursting Water Pipe
- Water Hammer