Proper pH is a true vital sign in the blood, in the lungs, and throughout the body! How do buffers maintain the delicate pH balance needed for life and health? Explore the properties of biological buffers in this two-part kit. In Part 1, students examine the acid-base balance in a model carbonate “blood” buffer. The pH range over which buffers are effective is illustrated in Part 2, where students prepare two different phosphate buffers that reflect the physiological role of buffers within cells. Acid-base theory “comes to life” as students integrate their understanding of biology and chemistry. Includes reproducible student handouts, detailed background information, complete Teacher Notes with sample data and answers to all questions, and all chemicals and consumable supplies needed to perform the lab.
Complete for 30 students working in pairs. Fifteen reusable, 24-well reaction plates are recommended and available separately.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 422
You May Also Like
- Reaction Plates, 24-well
- Universal Indicator Color Charts, Pkg. of 30
- Properties of Buffers - Student Laboratory Kit
- Buffer Balancing Acts - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Natural Indicators - Acids, Bases, and the pH Scale - Guided-Inquiry Kit
- Battle of the Acids - Strong vs. Weak Acids - Chemical Demonstration Kit
Mystery Solutions with Acids and Bases -
Orange Juice to Strawberry Float -
Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Acid-Base Test Kit II - Reactions of Acids and Bases - Student Laboratory Kit
- Acids and Bases, Flinn Chemtopic Labs Book, Volume 13