Grow your own spectacular display of long-lasting crystals in gels—using large sized demonstration bottles! Mix two solutions together to form a gel overnight. Add another solution to the hardened gel and watch amazing crystals begin to form before your eyes! Crystals become more and more beautiful over the next two or three weeks! Introduce your students to the phenomenon of crystal growing with this easy-to-prepare demonstration. Highly visible potassium hydrogen tartrate and lead iodide crystals are grown—making a perfect classroom display. Kit includes a detailed handout with easy-to-follow instructions. Enough materials are included to perform the demonstration seven times.
Concepts: Crystal formation, solutions/solubility, ions.
Setup Time Required: 30 minutes total over two class periods
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 400
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 346
You May Also Like
- Cylinder, Borosilicate Glass, 100 mL
- Crystal Growing Rock - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Crystal Growing - Student Laboratory Kit
- The Colorful Silicate Garden - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Crystal Growing Rock - Student Laboratory Kit
- Unexpected Precipitation - A Discrepant Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Giant Crystal Growing - Student Laboratory Kit
- The Heat Solution Instant Handwarmer
- Growing Crystals in Gels - Introductory Laboratory Kit
- Solubility and Solutions, Flinn ChemTopic Labs Book, Volume 12