Introduce the color and excitement of organic chemistry to your students! Watch as a bright yellow dye is oxidized by air to a rich blue color—right before your students' eyes. Indigo, the organic dye used in this lab, was used by the Romans and is still used today to dye fabrics such as blue jeans. Discuss the chemistry of fibers and fabrics using the included fabric swatches. Each swatch contains six different fibers so dyeing-capability comparisons can be made. This activity can also be used in consumer science and to teach the importance of chemistry in history. Dyeing makes a memorable organic chemistry lab experience—one your students will not soon forget!
Includes fabric swatches, all necessary chemicals and specialized equipment, Teacher Notes, and reproducible student handouts, as well as detailed information on indigo dye and its place in history.
Complete for 30 students working in pairs.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 471
You May Also Like
- Multi-Fiber Test Fabric, 1 Yard
- Hot Plate, Flinn, 7" X 7"
- The Color of Chemistry - Dyes, Dyeing, and Chemical Bonding - Student Laboratory Kit
- Indigo Dye Lab - Vial Organic™ Laboratory Kit
- The Natural Science of Fabric Dyeing Guided-Inquiry Lab Kit
- Organic Rainbow - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Organic Smell Identification - Super Value Kit
- Preparation of Esters - Student Laboratory Kit
- Organic Fold-a-matic™
- Organic Chemistry Activity Booklets, Set of 24