Set a beaker in another, pour in pale yellow oil and the beaker disappears! In this entertaining demonstration of refractive index, show your students that there's more to light travel than “meets the eye.” By matching the index of refraction of glass with canola oil, glass objects fade from sight. Teacher Demonstration Notes included. All materials included are reusable.
Concepts: Index of refraction, magnification.
Time Required: 15 minutes
Chemicals Provided: Unmarked Pyrex® beaker, Pyrex test tube, red and green pop beads, magnifying lens, and canola oil.
Disappearing Beaker Video
Index of refraction makes a beaker disappear.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 385
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 452
You May Also Like
- Beakers, Borosilicate Glass, 1000-mL
- Water Marbles - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Sunsets and Light Scattering - Demonstration Kit
- Ghost Crystals, 500 g
- Refraction and Total Internal Reflection—Individual Kit
- Kaleidoscoptical Activity - Demonstration Kit
- Basic Polarized Light Demonstration Kit
- Surface Tension Jar - Demonstration Kit
- Solids and Liquids, Flinn ChemTopic Labs Book, Volume 11
- Solids and Liquids DVD Set