Are there any patterns or periodic trends in the solubility of alkaline earth metal compounds? Don't give students the answer to this question-let them discover it with this demonstration! Recreate the solubility pattern of the alkaline earth metal chlorides with four testing reagents in a microscale reaction plate on an overhead projector. The periodic trend instantly reveals itself. Two worksheets offer a valuable review of double replacement reactions and net ionic equations. Teacher Demonstration Notes included. Enough materials are included to perform the demonstration seven times.
Concepts: Alkaline earth metals, periodic trends, solubility rules, double replacement reactions.
Time Required: 15 minutes
Chemicals Provided: Barium chloride solution, calcium chloride solution, magnesium chloride solution, strontium chloride solution, ammonium oxalate solution, potassium iodate solution, sodium carbonate solution, sodium sulfate solution.
Investigate solubility patterns for alkaline earth metal compounds via double replacement-precipitation reactions.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 401
You May Also Like
- pH and Protein Solubility - A Reversible Demonstration Kit
- Factors Affecting Solubility - Guided-Inquiry Kit
- Mini-Ammonia Fountain - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- It's in Their Nature - Student Laboratory Kit
- Sorting Out Solutions - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Precipitation Reactions and Solubility Rules - Super Value Kit
- The Colorful Silicate Garden - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Preparing and Diluting Solutions - Student Laboratory Kit
- Unexpected Precipitation - A Discrepant Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Solubility and Solutions, Flinn ChemTopic Labs Book, Volume 12