AP Requirement: #16-Analytical Gravimetric Determination.
In this laboratory, students determine the identity of a Group 1 metal carbonate by gravimetric analysis. The unknown is weighed, dissolved in water, and precipitated as calcium carbonate. The precipitate is filtered, dried, and weighed. From the data, the formula weight and the identity of the unknown metal carbonate are determined. Students gain valuable experience in the process of gravimetric analysis. The lab is free of heavy metal waste typically generated with most gravimetric analysis labs.
Complete for a class of 24 students working in pairs.
|Calcium Chloride Solution||Sodium Carbonate|
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 313
You May Also Like
- Oven, Laboratory, 0.7 Cu. Ft.
- Ceramic Squares, Pkg/12, 5" X 5" X 1/16"
- Funnel, Filtering, PMP, Plastic, 70 mm, Short Stem
Synthesis and Analysis of a Coordination Compound
AP Chemistry Laboratory 15
- Laboratory Experiments for Advanced Placement Chemistry 2nd Edition-Teacher Edition
- Empirical Formula of Copper Carbonate - Student Laboratory Kit
The Ultimate Chemical Equations Handbook, Teacher,
- Filter Paper, Quantitative, Pkg/100, 11.0 cm
- AP Chemistry Flashcards
- Balance, 120 X 0.001 g, Flinn Electronic