Roses are red, violets are blue—or are they? Red roses, as well as many other flowers and fruits, contain natural indicators that are sensitive to acids and bases. The color of a natural acid-base indicator depends on pH. In this activity, the pH scale comes to life in living color as students explore the origin of acid-base indicators in nature. Students extract natural indicators from dried flowers, fruit juices or herbal teas. They then design a procedure to construct a pH color chart for their natural indicator and use the results to analyze the pH values of unknown solutions. Kit includes four natural indicator sources, a set of buffer capsules for the preparation of pH 2-12 standards, four unknowns, and synthetic indicators for comparison. Indicator choices include red roses and hibiscus—your chemistry lab will never smell so good! Also includes reproducible student handouts, detailed background information, complete Teacher Notes with sample data and answers to questions, and all necessary chemicals and consumable supplies.
Complete for 30 students working in pairs.
Natural Indicators Video
Rose petals, herbal (hibiscus) teas, grape juice, apple skins—students will love testing their favorite flowers or fruits. Your chemistry lab will never smell so good!
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 424
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 403
You May Also Like
- Flinn Scientific Electronic Balance, 410 x 0.01-g
- Reaction Plates, 24-well
- Acid-Base Test Kit I - Properties of Acids and Bases - Student Laboratory Kit
Indicator Sponge - A Discrepant Event
Chemical Demonstration Kit
- "Chem"-eleon Indicators - Science and Art with Acids and Bases - Student Laboratory Kit
- Battle of the Acids - Strong vs. Weak Acids - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Buffers Keep the Balance - Properties of Biological Buffers - Student Laboratory Kit
- Buffer Balancing Acts - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Measuring Acid Strength - Ka Values of Weak Acids - Student Laboratory Kit
- Acids and Bases, Flinn Chemtopic Labs Book, Volume 13