Show the connection between center of gravity and stability. With this quick and effective hands-on experiment, students explore center of gravity principles, and learn why a tower with a low center of gravity can be tilted farther than one with a high center of gravity. The four different cylinders can be rearranged quickly to adjust the center of mass of the tower. Students can calculate the position of the center of mass for each new arrangement, and then measure the angle at which the tower falls. Through experimentation and observation, students will recognize the condition that causes the tower to fall-when its center of gravity extends beyond its base. Instructions provided.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 612
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 294
You May Also Like
- Bottle Balance Beam Demonstration Kit
- Center of Gravity
- Center of Gravity Demostration Set
- Center of Gravity Toss - Demonstration Kit
- Center of Gravity Paradox
- Center of Mass Bottles
- Investigating Center of Gravity - Super Value Laboratory Kit
- Hanging Nails Challenge - Super Value Guided-Inquiry Kit
- Double Cone and Ramp
- Fascinating Finger Balance Demonstrator