It's spring break. Time to cast off the winter doldrums and embrace the bright new season! Celebrate the arrival of spring with six fun demonstrations:
• An oscillating chemical reaction alternates between frigid blue and sunny yellow, just like the unpredictable spring weather.
• A rainbow suddenly appears, then just as quickly disappears, when alternating colorless solutions are mixed.
• Shake a yellow solution and the color changes from yellow to red to spring green, the color of new plant growth and one of the prettiest colors of the year.
• Spray a special misting solution on paper flowers and watch them bloom—April showers bring beautiful May flowers!
• A blue flower changes to pink as the weather changes and the humidity rises.
• As spring break approaches, all thoughts turn to...VACATION! Sit back and enjoy a chemical “sunset” on your favorite tropical beach.
Concepts: Oxidation-reduction, acid-base reactions, pH indicators, oscillating reactions, reaction mechanisms, LeCh,telier's principle, Tyndall effect, colloids.
Time Required: One full class period
Chemicals Provided: Hydrogen peroxide solution, potassium iodate solution, starch-malonic acid-manganese(II) sulfate solution, sodium hydroxide solution, rainbow indicator solution, hydrochloric acid solution, dextrose solution, indigo carmine, ammonia solution, phenolphthalein solution, thymolphthalein solution, universal indicator, cobalt chloride solution, sodium thiosulfate solution.
Note: Some common laboratory equipment is required but not provided.
Enough materials are included to perform each demonstration seven times.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 395
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 497
You May Also Like
- Beakers, Borosilicate Glass, 1000-mL
- Magnetic Stirrer, Flinn, 7" x 7"
- April Fool's Day - Multi-Demonstration Kit
- A Christmas of Chemistry - Multi-Demonstration Kit
- Opening Day - Multi-Demonstration Kit
- End of Year Finale - Multi-Demonstration Kit
- Chemystery of Halloween - Multi-Demonstration Kit
- The Crystal Forest - Student Laboratory Kit
- Crystal Ornaments - A Holiday Student Laboratory Kit
- Silver Holiday Ornaments - Student Laboratory Kit