Quickly and easily demonstrate the remarkable properties of surface tension, air pressure, and cohesion using a simple jar. Place a laminated card over the screen-covered mouth of a jar. Flip the jar over and observe as the card stays in place. Remove the card and watch the water appear to “float” on air! This demonstration is very easy to perform, and it shows an incredible amount of science. Complete with instructions and extensions to the activity.
Concepts: Surface tension, air pressure, cohesion.
Time Required: 10 minutes
Materials Provided: Jar, screen, laminated card.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 369
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 333
You May Also Like
- Chemical Bonding, Flinn ChemTopic Labs Book, Volume 5
- It's in Their Nature - Student Laboratory Kit
- Solids and Liquids, Flinn ChemTopic Labs Book, Volume 11
- Intermolecular Attractions - Multi-Demonstration Kit
- Intermolecular Forces - Student Laboratory Kit
- Solids and Liquids - Activity-Stations Kit
- Marbling Paper - Student Laboratory Kit
- Mass Is Conserved - Volume Is Not! Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Solids and Liquids DVD Set
- Sorting Out Solutions - Chemical Demonstration Kit