A free-flowing U-shaped tube contains what appears to be a homogenous blue liquid, yet the liquid levels in the sides of the tube are unequal. No tricks involved—just density! This simple demonstration is guaranteed to heighten student interest on the concepts of density, specific gravity, and other related topics. Teacher Demonstration Notes included. Enough materials are included to perform the demonstration seven times.
Concepts: Density, specific gravity, observation.
Time Required: 10 minutes
Materials Provided: Glass U-tube, isopropyl alcohol, blue food dye.
Note: A ring stand and clamp are required and available separately.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 383
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 265
You May Also Like
- Cylinder, Borosilicate Glass, 25 mL
- Density Demonstration Bottles
- Discovering Density - Looking for Patterns and Trends - Super Value Laboratory Kit
- Red, White and Blue Density Column - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- It's All About Density - An Introductory Super Value Activity-Stations Kit
- Intermolecular Attractions - Multi-Demonstration Kit
- Measurement Challenge - A Density Super Value Guided-Inquiry Kit
- Introduction to Chemistry DVD Set
- Mass Is Conserved - Volume Is Not! Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Introduction to Chemistry, Flinn ChemTopic Labs Book, Volume 1