Dramatically show your students the incompressibility of a liquid. Shake the Water Hammer up and down and an unexpected sound will be produced-the “ping” of a hammer hitting a nail. Students will suspect that this is a trick, but will be amazed to learn that it is only water causing the noise-no other objects are used. Students may have even heard the phenomenon known as water hammer in the water pipes of their home, and now they will be able to explain it. The Water Hammer is a great device to introduce students to concepts such as water pressure, fluid properties, and resonance. Demonstration instructions and background information are provided.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 660
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 351
You May Also Like
- Soda Bottle Physics Kit
- Cartesian Diver Construction - Super Value Kit
- Fountain Connection
- Hydraulic Elevator - Physical Science Demonstration Kit
- Hydraulic Hot Water Bottle - Demonstration Kit
- Pascal's Law - Student Laboratory Kit
- Adhesion Disk
- Bottomless Bottle - Pascal's Law Demonstration Kit
- The Bursting Water Pipe
- Capillary Equilibrium Tube