Quickly demonstrate angular momentum—with a twist!
Stand on a rotating platform holding the dumbbells straight out. After a slow rotation is applied, pull in the dumbbells as close to your body as possible. Your students will be astonished with how fast you spin—just like an Olympic figure skater. This simple demonstration effectively illustrates the concepts of angular momentum, and it is safe for students to have their own hands-on experience. A reproducible student worksheet, detailed background information, and complete demonstration instructions are provided.
Concepts: Conservation of angular momentum.
Time Required: 15 minutes
Materials Provided: 2 5-lb dumbbells
Note: Rotational turntable is required and available separately.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 636
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 317
You May Also Like
- Centrifugal Hoop Demonstration
- Circular Motion Paradox
- Curve Ahead, Reduce Speed! Centripetal Force Demonstration Kit
- Centripetal Force Activity Kit
- Greek Waiter's Tray - Super Value Laboratory Kit
- Bicycle Wheel Gyroscope
- Orbital Speed Demonstration Kit
- Investigating the Rattlebackbowl Kit
- Spooling Around with Physics - Demonstration Kit
- Rotational Turn Table