Grow a beautiful “tin-man” crystal tree using this electrifying demonstration! This quick and simple demonstration will teach oxidation-reduction principles and show students the components of a simple electrolytic cell. Students will enjoy watching tin crystals grow before their very eyes across a Petri dish and then quickly “reverse” as the cathode and anode are switched. A true crowd-pleaser! Includes Teacher Demonstration Notes and reproducible student worksheets. Enough materials are included to perform the demonstration seven times.
Concepts: Electrolysis, oxidation-reduction, anode, cathode.
Time Required: 15 minutes
Materials Provided: Tin(II) chloride solution, 9-V battery, battery cap with alligator clip leads, Petri dish.
Reversible Tin Man Video
Grow beautiful tin crystals by running an electric current through a solution of tin(II) chloride.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 376
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 391
You May Also Like
- Copper Wire, Bare, 16 Gauge, 4 oz
Classifying Chemical Reactions -
- Electrolysis Reactions - Student Laboratory Kit
- Colorful Electrolysis - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Electrolysis of Water - Student Laboratory Kit
- The Floating Tin Sponge - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Electron Transfer in Chemistry DVD Set
- Electroplating with Copper - Student Laboratory Kit
- Electrochemistry, Flinn ChemTopic™ Labs - Volume 17
- Oxidation and Reduction, Flinn ChemTopic Lab Book, Volume 16