Growing crystals in gels is a fascinating way to show chemical reactions over time. By mixing a few solutions together a gel is made that contains an evenly distributed ion. Another ionic solution or a piece of metal is placed at the top of the gel. As the ionic solution slowly diffuses through the gel, a new substance is formed. The two clear chemical solutions react and, before your eyes, beautiful crystals appear. Crystals will begin forming within a few hours and will continue growing for weeks to come. This lab makes an excellent year-long classroom display. Test tubes, stoppers and all necessary chemicals are provided.
Complete for 30 students working in pairs. The Introductory Kit allows you to prepare three different gels and the Advanced Kit allows you to prepare six different gels.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 449
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 352
You May Also Like
- Cylinder, Borosilicate Glass, 25 mL
- Parafilm® M, 20" X 50', Roll
- Crystal Growing - Student Laboratory Kit
- Giant Crystal Growing - Student Laboratory Kit
- Crystal Growing Rock - Student Laboratory Kit
- Microscale Silicate Garden - Super Value Kit
- Crystal Ornaments - A Holiday Student Laboratory Kit
- The Crystal Forest - Student Laboratory Kit
- Crystal Structure - Super Value Laboratory Kit
- Models of Ionic and Metallic Crystals Kit