Slime is prepared in a solution of fluorescein and bromophenol blue. The resulting slime appears green in reflected light, red in transmitted light, and bright fluorescent green in ultraviolet light. Enough materials are included to perform the demonstration seven times.
Concepts: Polymers, fluorescence, light spectra.
Time Required: 15 minutes
Materials Provided: Fluorescein/bromphenol blue solution, guar gum, sodium borate and self-closing bags.
Note: An ultraviolet light is required and available separately.
Fluorescent Slime Video
Combination of indicators makes slime that appears green in reflected light, red in transmitted light, and bright fluorescent green in ultraviolet light.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 385
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 500
You May Also Like
- Cylinder, Borosilicate Glass, 10 mL*
- Ultraviolet Lamp, 18"
- Mystery Nylon Factory - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Slime for Everyone! Student Laboratory Kit
Polymers, Polymers, Polymers -
Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Structures and Properties of Polymers - Activity-Stations Kit
- Sodium Alginate Polymer - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- "Dyeing" Sodium Polyacrylate with Metal Ions - Student Laboratory Kit
- Polymers, Flinn ChemTopic Labs Book, Volume 21
- Applications of Chemistry DVD Set