A spectacular “fireworks” display is initiated by adding two drops of water to a mixture of dry chemicals. Place a beaker with very small amounts of zinc dust, ammonium nitrate, and a catalyst in a fume hood. Add two drops of water to the mixture and watch as sparks, smoke, and excitement fill the air. Must be performed on a heat-resistant surface in a fume hood or outdoors. Enough materials are included to perform the demonstration seven times.
Concepts: Exothermic reactions, catalysts.
Time Required: 15 minutes
Chemicals Provided: Zinc dust, ammonium nitrate, ammonium chloride.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 394
You May Also Like
- Flinn Fume Hood, 48"
- Beakers, Borosilicate Glass, Low Form, 50 mL
- Thermite Reaction - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Rapid Oxidation - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Smashing Thermit Reaction - Demonstration Kit
- Thermodynamics in a Bag - Super Value Kit
- Cool Reaction - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Knock Your Socks Off Apparatus Kit - Reaction of Calcium Carbide
- Energy and Thermodynamics DVD Set
- Thermochemistry, Flinn Chemtopic Labs Book, Volume 10