Students grow their own onion root tips and then follow a specific staining procedure that will allow them to see the DNA in the root tip cells. Students harvest root tips, treat them with chemicals, macerate the tissue, stain the tissue, and then prepare their own microscope slides. Microscopic examination of their prepared slides will reveal the DNA and mitotic patterns in the meristematic cells. The straightforward, classic squash-and-stain procedure utilized in this activity will help the abstract notion of DNA become a reality.
Complete for 30 students working individually. Onion bulbs are required and available separately.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 974
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 600
You May Also Like
- Magnetic Meiosis Models - Biology Demonstration Kit
- Magnetic Mitosis Demonstration - Biology Demonstration Kit
- Mitosis Study Kit
- Meiosis Chart
- Mitosis Chart
- Allele's Crossing Over to the Other Side - Student Laboratory Kit
- Animal Cell Meiosis Model
- "Constructing" Mitosis The 5E Way
- The Cell Cycle- Simulation of Chromosome Behaviors
- Mitosis, Meiosis, and Cell Division Slide Set