An entire genetics unit in a single kit! Students work at their own pace through this guided-inquiry activity to discover the principles of Mendelian genetics. Introductory exercises help students become familiar with the basic vocabulary of genetics. The manipulative exercises allow students to visualize Mendel's laws of dominance and independent assortment. Students learn how probability plays a role in genetics as they simulate the process of gamete formation in a dihybrid cross using triangular-shaped dice. Additional genetics concepts, such as incomplete dominance and co-dominance, are also clarified using easy-to-follow examples.
There are enough materials for 30 students working individually or in pairs.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 912
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 595
You May Also Like
- Genetics - Laboratory and Classroom Activities Book
- Genetics of Taste - Student Laboratory Kit
- A Demo A Day™ - A Year of Biological Demonstrations
The Genetics of Drosophila Eye Color - Advanced Inquiry Laboratory Kit
Big Idea 1
- Human Karyotyping Kit
- Karyotyping with Ideograms - Super Value Kit
- Magnetic Karyotypes—Biological Demonstration Kit
- PCR Simulation Kit
- Preparation of Human Chromosome Spreads Kit
- Plasmid Simulation Kit