Students observe microbial growth in their personally constructed Winogradsky column with soil collected from their surroundings. Repeating the soil microbe-growing technique, made famous by the Russian microbiologist, Sergei Winogradsky, is fun and motivating. Over a several month incubation period, students will witness an array of protozoa, fungi, bacteria and algae as their Winogradsky column goes through its successive stages.
The kit includes enough materials for 10 Winogradsky columns including chemical nutrients, wooden stirring sticks, and complete teaching instructions. You supply the mud! The 10 columns included in the kit can be reused.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 928
You May Also Like
- Yeast and Mold Soil Ecology Student Kit
- Exploring the World of Soil Protozoa - Student Laboratory Kit
- Bacteria Soil Ecology Kit
- Discover Life in the Soil - Student Laboratory Kit
- Microbes Around Us- Student Laboratory Kit
- What's Living in YOUR Shower? Kit
- Bacterial Pollution (Coliform) - Student Laboratory Kit
- Introductory Bacteria Study Kit
- Biofilms- Student Laboratory Activity
- Sam 'n Ella's Cafe-Food Poisoning Simulation