Students view actual chromosomes! The salivary gland chromosomes of Drosophila virilis are the perfect choice for this activity. They are large and relatively easy to see. Students extract the chromosomes from the larva, prepare slides, and then stain them for viewing with their microscopes. The concept of chromosome becomes concrete after seeing the real thing. An activity your kids will never forget!
Teacher Notes, reproducible student handouts, and all necessary chemicals are provided. Additional Drosophila culture vials are recommended as a separate purchase.
Complete for 30 students working in pairs. Drosophila are available separately. Allow 2 weeks for delivery of Drosophila.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 907
You May Also Like
- Dihybrid Cross Poster
- Eye Color and Polygenic Inheritance—Student Laboratory Kit
- Genetic Code Kit
- Discover the Possibilities! A Genetics Probability Activity
- Genetics - Laboratory and Classroom Activities Book
- Genetics of Taste - Student Laboratory Kit
- A Demo A Day™ - A Year of Biological Demonstrations
The Genetics of Drosophila Eye Color - Advanced Inquiry Laboratory Kit
Big Idea 1
- Human Karyotyping Kit
- Karyotyping with Ideograms - Super Value Kit