For many people, the thought of microorganisms all around us, all the time, is just gross-but it is a fact of life! Introduce your students to the diverse and fascinating world of environmental microbes “hiding in plain sight” with this hands-on culturing activity. Students develop sterile technique skills as samples are collected from different surfaces outside of class and cultured. The resulting microbial colonies are then carefully observed and diagrammed to compare and contrast their growth characteristics. Students discover that microbes, like people, come in all colors, shapes and sizes, and indeed have unique “personalities.”
This kit contains enough materials for 30 students working in pairs. An autoclave or pressure cooker is necessary to prepare the media in this kit.
The availability of dissecting microscopes will make it easier for students to observe details in the growth patterns of the colonies.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 930
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 525
You May Also Like
- Exploring the World of Soil Protozoa - Student Laboratory Kit
- Yeast and Mold Soil Ecology Student Kit
- Discover Life in the Soil - Student Laboratory Kit
- Microbes Around Us- Student Laboratory Kit
- Bacteria Soil Ecology Kit
- Bacterial Pollution (Coliform) - Student Laboratory Kit
- Introductory Bacteria Study Kit
- Biofilms- Student Laboratory Activity
- Sam 'n Ella's Cafe-Food Poisoning Simulation
- The Glowing Germ Contamination - Demonstration Kit