Students become forensic scientists and use biotechnology to solve a crime by analyzing DNA samples collected at the "crime scene." The DNA samples are run using a gel electrophoresis and distinct bands separate, clearly leading to the guilty person. Use this nonviolent scenario to teach your students about DNA electrophoresis and forensics! Includes student and teacher instructions, plus a crime report, and all the materials necessary to run six gels. DNA source is Lambda phage.
Complete for 6 student groups. Super Value Kit is complete for 30 student groups. Requires electrophoresis apparatus and power supply.
The DNA contained in this kit must be kept frozen prior to use. Orders will only be shipped between September 15 and May 15 unless we are told otherwise. Upon receipt, this kit should be stored in the freezer until just before it is to be used.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 563
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 579
You May Also Like
- Six Gel Electrophoresis Apparatus
- Electrophoresis Lab Station
- Transformation of E. coli with JM101 pGal™
- Analysis of Eco RI Cleavage Patterns of Lambda Phage of DNA, 5 gels
- Pipetting Practice Kit
- Electrophoresis Buffer Demo Kit
- A Process to Dye for: Gel Electrophoresis - Student Laboratory Kit
Biotechnology for Young Scientists -
Student Laboratory Kit
- Flinn Scientific Electrophoresis Guide
- DNA Fingerprinting 1