Observe live, functioning mitochondria-right before your eyes! Typical staining procedures destroy functioning organelles. However, using the specialized stain included in this kit allows students to vividly see mitochondria breaking down sugar. Color change is easily viewed as the dye-sugar mixture is oxidized by mitochondria. Repeat the process several times by adding dye solution to the slide. Clearly illustrates that mitochondria are, in fact, the “powerhouses” of the cell!
Enough materials provided for 30 students working in pairs. Fresh celery and microscopes are necessary for this activity but not provided.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 894
You May Also Like
- Cell Signaling Poster
Electron Capture and Photosynthesis -
Super Value Laboratory Kit
- Exploring Plant and Animal Cells - Student Laboratory Kit
- Life Characteristics—Biological Demonstration Kit
- Make Your Own Cell - Student Laboratory Kit
- Membrane Properties - Student Laboratory Kit
- Prokaryotes vs. Eukaryotes - Student Microscopy Kit
- Cell Membrane Permeability - Student Laboratory Kit
- Plant and Animal Cell Mystery
- Plasma Membrane Model