Americans generate over 210 million tons of trash every year! One of the biggest decisions voters will need to make in the coming years is “what are we going to do with all this trash?” In this activity, students will set up different types of simulated landfills and test the effectiveness of each landfill using various “trash” items. Students will gain in-depth knowledge about how landfills work, the difference between open-air landfills and sanitary landfills and what types of items will biodegrade in each type of landfill. Kit includes detailed instructions, reproducible student handouts, landfill test items, and landfill containers.
Complete for 30 students working in pairs.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 1027
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 687
You May Also Like
- Worm Composting Kit - Complete with postage-paid coupon for one pound of redworms
- Paper-Making - Student Laboratory Kit
- Recycling Plastics by Density - Student Laboratory Kit
- Recycling: Conserving Natural Resources, DVD
- Water Quality Index (WQI) Field Trip - Student Laboratory Kit
- Understanding Your Carbon Footprint Student Activity Kit
- Clearing Water with Alum - Demonstration Kit
- Air Pollution Investigation Super Value Kit
- Airborne Particulates Kit
- Cleaning Up with Iron Demonstration Kit