Introduce students to the study of biofilms, which has become a major area of research in recent years. “Slime cities” thrive wherever there is water- in laundry rooms, on contact lenses, and even teeth, to name a few. These slimy surfaces are known as biofilms. Understanding biofilms and developing ways to control them have enormous economic and health implications. In this hands-on kit, students treat microscope slides with different substances and immerse the slides into biofilm-rich media. The coated slides are then be removed, stained, and examined under a microscope to detect the presence of biofilm growth. The effect of different treatments on the growth of biofilms can then be compared and contrasted. Kit includes detailed instructions, an extensive background, teacher notes, and all materials needed for 30 students working in pairs.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 932
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 523
You May Also Like
- Exploring the World of Soil Protozoa - Student Laboratory Kit
- Yeast and Mold Soil Ecology Student Kit
- Discover Life in the Soil - Student Laboratory Kit
- Microbes Around Us- Student Laboratory Kit
- What's Living in YOUR Shower? Kit
- Bacterial Pollution (Coliform) - Student Laboratory Kit
- Introductory Bacteria Study Kit
- Bacteria Soil Ecology Kit
- Sam 'n Ella's Cafe-Food Poisoning Simulation
- The Glowing Germ Contamination - Demonstration Kit