The reactions of alkali and alkaline earth metals with water can be spectacular reactions. Introduce the study of the periodic table and periodic trends with this exciting, but safe, small-scale demonstration of the activity of metals.
Learn how elements are classified based on similarities, differences, and trends in their properties, including their chemical reactions. Kit contains small, pre-cut demonstration pieces of lithium and sodium, along with magnesium ribbon and calcium turnings. Simply display the metals in the Petri dishes provided with the kit to observe their physical properties, including color, luster, hardness, and malleability, then react the metals one at a time with water. Compare the activity of each metal against the previous metal to identify the periodic trends in the activity of metals. Enough materials are included to perform the demonstration seven times.
Concepts: Alkali and alkaline earth metals, periodic table and trends, physical and chemical properties, metal activity.
Time Required: 20 minutes
Materials Provided: Five small pre-cut demonstration pieces of lithium and sodium, calcium turnings, magnesium ribbon, phenolphthalein solution, disposable Petri dishes.
Periodic Activity of Metals Video
Exciting reactions of Li, Na, Mg, and Ca reveal trends down a column and across a row.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 380
You May Also Like
- Flinn Periodic Table, Two-Sided Hanging Wall Chart
- All in the Family - Periodic Trends Demonstration Kit
- An Activity Series - AP Chemistry Classic Laboratory Kit
- Periodic Trends Chart
- Families of Elements - Alkaline Earth Metals and Halides - Student Laboratory Kit
- Periodic Trends and the Properties of Elements - Student Laboratory Kit
- Periodic Table Basics - Student Laboratory Kit
- Periodic Table Analogy - A Card Puzzle - Super Value Kit
- Plotting Trends - A Periodic Table Student Laboratory Kit
- The Periodic Table, ChemTopic Labs Book, Volume 4