Don't just give your students the definition and equation for density—let them discover the concept for themselves!
Using either “gold” or “silver” metal shot, students collect mass and volume data, plot the data on a graph to identify the resulting pattern and trend, and then analyze the relationship. By comparing their results with known quantities, students identify their metal and determine the accuracy of their method. Don't be surprised at the number of students who yell out a modern version of “Eureka!” as they “nail” the density of their sample! Includes complete instructions with reproducible student handouts and valuable Teacher Notes.
Super Value Kit is complete for 15 student groups. All materials are reusable—a great value! Balances with 0.01-g precision are recommended.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 461
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 268
You May Also Like
- Flinn Scientific Electronic Balance, 410 x 0.01-g
- Cylinder, Borosilicate Glass, 25 mL
- It's All About Density - An Introductory Super Value Activity-Stations Kit
- Density Demonstration Bottles
- Measurement Challenge - A Density Super Value Guided-Inquiry Kit
- Lopsided Liquid - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Shrink Plastic Measurement - Student Laboratory Kit
- Mass Is Conserved - Volume Is Not! Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Measurement in the Laboratory - Activity-Stations Kit
- Red, White and Blue Density Column - Chemical Demonstration Kit