Often thought of as “just dirt,” soil is actually a complex mixture of inorganic minerals, organic matter, air and water. The size of the particles in soil affects not only how much air is present but also the ability of soil to hold water. In this kit, students determine the permeability and porosity of soil by measuring how easily air and water move through soil, and the volume of air and water the soil will hold respectively. The moisture content, permeability rate, and porosity of local soil samples may be tested and compared to that of sand, which is included in the kit. Kit contains detailed instructions, background information, teacher notes and all of the materials needed for 30 students working in pairs. Soil samples may need to be collected locally.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 952
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 579
You May Also Like
- Physical and Chemical Properties of Soil Environmental Science Lab Kit
- Soil- A Natural Filter Environmental Science Demonstration Kit
- Soil Ecology Lab Manual
- Biology and Chemistry of Soil - Student Laboratory Kit
- How Soil Is Formed - Student Laboratory Kit
- pH of Soil - Super Value Laboratory Kit
Porosity and Drainage Rate of Soil -
Student Laboratory Kit
- Soil Contamination - Forensics Laboratory Kit
- Discover Life in the Soil - Student Laboratory Kit
- Buffering Lakes and Streams—Environmental Science Demonstration Kit