It’s not that hard! Use this water-softening inquiry lab to teach the concepts of water hardness, complex ions, ion exchange, and titration. Water samples with unknown hardness will be treated with ion-exchange resin and analyzed by EDTA titration. Students use flowcharts to outline their self-designed experiments for determining the optimum amount of ion-exchange resin to soften their particular water sample. Thoughtful guided-inquiry experiment lets students identify the minerals removed through ion exchange and understand the practical benefits of water softening. Includes reproducible student handouts, detailed Teacher Notes, and all necessary chemicals and consumable supplies.
Complete for 30 students working in pairs.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 444
You May Also Like
- Flinn Scientific Electronic Balance, 410 x 0.01-g
- Magnetic Stirrer, Flinn, 7" x 7"
- Water Hardness Testing Paper
- Determination of the Hardness of Water - Student Laboratory Kit
- How Hard is Your Water? Student Laboratory Kit
- Zeolite, Synthetic, 500 g
- Testing Pollution in Tap Water Kit
- Cleaning Up with Iron Demonstration Kit
- Chemical Pollution in Water - A Qualitative Ion Test Super Value Kit
- Chemistry in the Environment, Flinn Chemtopic Labs Book, Volume 22