Drosophila melanogaster—the common fruit fly—serves as an ideal organism to study the basic laws of heredity in this month-long lab activity. Students will witness inheritance patterns by performing a monohybrid cross between the wild-type and mutant strain of the species. Students will master the fundamental techniques of anesthetizing, sorting phenotypes and collecting data which will result in unparalleled value in future upper level classes.
Drosophila cultures should be ordered separately to arrive two weeks prior to the scheduled use date. The strains corresponding to this laboratory activity are listed below. Wild-type and mutant Drosophila are required but not included in the kit. Allow 2 weeks for delivery of Drosophila.
Kit includes sufficient materials for 8 groups of students, detailed Teacher’s Notes, extensive background material, and reproducible student handouts.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 838
You May Also Like
- Drosophila virilis, for Chromosomes
- Wild-type Drosophila (+)
- Sepia (se) Recessive Drosophila, Culture
- Anesthetizer, Lull-A-Fly™ Kit
- Brushes, Sorting - Camel Hair
- Vials, Drosophila Culture, 10/pkg
- Drosophila Culture Media, 1 L
- Flinn Drosophila Guide
- Fruit Fly Genetics Simulation Kit
- Drosophila Laboratory Kit