Mystery Light Block - Scientific Method Demonstration Kit, AP7341
Everyone loves a mystery! A two-toned rectangular block of paraffin is displayed with the darker half on the bottom. Flip it over—the darker half is still on the bottom! As students make observations, ask questions, make predictions, propose experiments, and develop a hypothesis about the paraffin block, they actively use the scientific method to solve the mystery. Intriguing discrepant event demonstration shows that science is a process of discovery and helps students develop critical-thinking skills. Kit includes complete instructions with reproducible student handouts, valuable Teacher Notes with instructions for an optional student inquiry lab, and enough materials to make two reusable Mystery Light Blocks.
Concepts: Scientific method, discrepant events.
Time Required: 15 minutes
Materials Provided: Paraffin blocks, aluminum pan, aluminum foil.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 393
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 254
You May Also Like
- Hot Plate, Flinn, 7" X 7"
- Auto-Mixing Pitcher - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Color Change Challenge - Problem Solving Guided-Inquiry Kit
- Larry's Lost Labels Luncheonette - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Match the Mystery Solutions - Guided-Inquiry Kit
- Indirect Observations and Inference - Demonstration Kit
- Observation and Experiment - Introduction to the Scientific Method - Guided-Inquiry Kit
- Think Tube - Demonstration Kit
- Scientific Method - Student Laboratory Kit
- Applications of Chemistry DVD Set