Add more color to the classic ammonia fountain demonstration by down-sizing it! Safely collect ammonia gas in jumbo pipet bulbs, place them in a rainbow array of indicator solutions, and give each bulb a gentle squeeze to draw up just a drop of water. The bulbs instantly fill with liquid and all the indicators change color. A beautiful way to show students the amazing solubility of ammonia in water and its acid–base properties! This demo is safe, simple, and easy to set up—no need for ammonia gas cylinders. Teacher Demonstration Notes, along with both a reproducible student worksheet and answer sheet, are included.
Concepts: Ammonia gas, gas solubility, acid–base reactions, indicators.
Time Required: 20 minutes
Chemicals Provided: Ammonium hydroxide solution; phenolphthalein, neutral red, bromthymol blue, phenol red, and red-to-green indicator solutions, disposable pipets.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 381
You May Also Like
- Hot Plate, Flinn, 7" X 7"
- Flinn Digital Thermometer
Chemiluminescent Ammonia Fountain -
Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Common Gases - Student Laboratory Kit
- Diffusion of Gases - Kinetic Energy Demonstration Kit
- Dry Ice Color Show - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Pop Rocks® Science - Determine the Volume of CO2 - Student Laboratory Kit
- Chemistry of Gases DVD Set
Properties of Gases and the Gas Laws -
- Solubility and Solutions, Flinn ChemTopic Labs Book, Volume 12