Now you see them—now you don’t! The refractive index of water marbles is so close to that of water that the marbles “disappear” when placed into water. Contrast the water marbles’ refractive index with air and once again the marbles are quite visible. The polyacrylamide polymer spheres are stored dry but, after soaking for several hours, they will absorb 200 times their weight in water. Use water marbles to create all sorts of discrepant events from floating steel spheres to secret messages! Instructions are included.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 548
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 502
You May Also Like
- Document Camera
- Beakers, Borosilicate Glass, 250-mL
- The Wacky World of Superabsorbent Polymers - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- The Disappearing Beaker - Demonstration Kit
- Polyurethane Foam System - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Structures and Properties of Polymers - Activity-Stations Kit
- Seeing Polymers in a New Light - Demonstration Kit
- Small Scale Synthesis of Polymers - Activity-Stations Kit
- Polymers, Flinn ChemTopic Labs Book, Volume 21
- Applications of Chemistry DVD Set