Use this set of integrated, interactive demonstrations to help students review the major principles of oxidation–reduction. Set of two demonstrations includes:
• Reactions of Iron(II) and Iron(III) Ions Investigate electron transfer reactions of Fe2+ and Fe3+ ions with a series of oxidizing and reducing agents, respectively. Students identify trends in the reduction of iron(III) ions as they review essential knowledge and skills for the AP Chemistry Exam, such as how to assign oxidation states and balance half-reactions.
• Colorful Oxidation States of Manganese Demonstrate the wide range of colorful oxidation states of manganese, a continuous series from +7 to +2! Students observe and compare the sequence of projected colors arising from oxidation of manganese in its +2 form and corresponding reduction of its highest, +7 oxidation state. Excellent review of balancing redox equations!
Includes valuable Teacher Notes with helpful teaching tips, reproducible student worksheets, and enough materials to perform each demonstration twice.
Concepts: Oxidation–reduction, oxidation states, oxidizing and reducing agents, half-reactions.
Time Required: One class period
Chemical Provided: Hydrochloric acid solution, hydrogen peroxide solution, iron(II) ammonium sulfate, iron(III) chloride solution, manganese sulfate solution, potassium ferricyanate solution, potassium permanganate solution, potassium thiocyanate solution, sodium bromide solution, sodium hydroxide solution, sodium hypochlorite solution, sodium iodide solution, sodium sulfite solution, sulfuric acid solution.
*AP is a registered trademark of the College Board, which was not involved in the production of, and does not endorse, these products.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 318
You May Also Like
- Kinetics of a Redox Reaction - AP Chemistry Classic Laboratory Kit
- Colorful Oxidation States of Manganese - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Kinetics of a Reaction - AP Chemistry Classic Laboratory Kit
- Laboratory Experiments for Advanced Placement Chemistry, Guided-Inquiry Edition - Teacher Edition
- The Ultimate Chemical Equations Handbook, Student, 2nd Edition
- Oxidation–Reduction Titrations - AP Chemistry Classic Laboratory Kit
- Percent Composition - Calcium Magnesium Acetate - Student Laboratory Kit
- Rapid Oxidation - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- A Colorful Decomposition of a Carbonate - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Iron(II) and Iron(III) Reactions - Student Laboratory Kit