Chemical Wizardry - Multi-Demonstration Kit, AP7503
Mesmerize your students with these spell-binding demonstrations! First, set the mood as you generate the eerie glow of a green flame by sprinkling boric acid over a gel created with calcium acetate and ethyl alcohol. Next, add to the atmosphere of enchantment by transforming a solution into slimy, ghoulish, glowing polymer worms. Complete the spooky scene with a secret message written in blood-red ink made from an iron compound. As students observe the results of your wizardry, they learn important chemical concepts at the same time. Includes detailed Teacher Demonstration Notes, enough materials to perform each demonstration at least seven times, and a reproducible student worksheet.
Concepts: Gels, atomic emission, polymers, cross-linking, fluorescence, complex ions, chemical reactions.
Time Required: 30 minutes
Chemicals Provided: Boric acid, calcium acetate, ethyl alcohol, calcium chloride solution, copper(II) chloride solution, fluorescein, sodium alginate solution, iron(III) chloride solution, potassium thiocyanate solution.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 396
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 495
You May Also Like
- Creating Elements - Multi-Demonstration Kit
- Amazing Modern Materials - Multi-Demonstration Kit
- Opening Day - Multi-Demonstration Kit
- April Fool's Day - Multi-Demonstration Kit
- The Chemistry of Spring Break - Multi-Demonstration Kit
- End of Year Finale - Multi-Demonstration Kit
- Chemystery of Halloween - Multi-Demonstration Kit
- A Christmas of Chemistry - Multi-Demonstration Kit
- Laboratory Safety Essentials - Multi-Demonstration Kit
- What's So Big About Nanotechnology? Activity-Stations Kit