Frequently Asked Biology Questions
Culture Media and Stains: Preparation and Use Tips
- How do I perform a Gram stain?
- How do I prepare culture media for algae?
- How do I prepare culture media for protozoans?
- Are nutrient agar and agar the same?
- How far in advance should I order Drosophila?
- When I received my Drosophila, the adult flies were no longer alive, what is wrong?
Questions about Preserved Material
- How should we properly dispose of old biological specimens preserved in formaldehyde?
- We are concerned about exposure to some of our specimens preserved in formaldehyde. Do we have to discard them?
- What is the level of formaldehyde in the preserved specimens that Flinn Scientific sells?
- Are formaldehyde and formalin the same substance?
- Where does Flinn obtain its preserved specimens?
Setup and Maintenance of Aquariums
- How do I find live cultures of organisms in my package from Flinn?
- Which videomicroscopy system is best for my uses?
- What is immersion oil used for and what is the proper technique for using it?
- How should I clean and maintain my microscopes?
- I don't have an autoclave. How can I sterilize my equipment?
- What is the difference between fluorescent and incandescent bulbs in microscopes?
- How should I prepare chromatography solvent for separating chlorophyll?